Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Fourteen years...Galatians 2:1

Happy Birthday, M!

At 9:20 p.m. EDT tonight, he will officially be 14 years old. Last night before he went to bed, I told him about how it was already 14 years since I went into labor. That was a long one!

It was 6 years ago on his 8th birthday that he was wondering if his scheduled birthday party was actually going to happen since his baby sister was due to make an appearance. She was gracious enough to wait 3 more days, so the birthday party went on as planned. I even had the time and energy to make his requested Lego cake.

It is hard to see in the picture, but that brick cake has iced Oreos on top to make it look like a 2 x 4 Lego brick. Each of the Lego men is sitting on top of a dimple.

This year, he decided he wanted a cake similar to what J had last year, but with a banana cake, like what he had made for S's birthday. I promised I would bake it for him. I had good intentions of making it yesterday, but it didn't get done. J has an ortho appointment this morning, so I knew it had to be made last night. I was exhausted. The thought of going into the kitchen and gathering all the ingredients made me want to lie down. Since M had done such a wonderful job of making S's last year...

I can hear the gasp across the world as people reading this are thinking surely she didn't make her son bake his own birthday cake!

No, I didn't make him bake his own cake.

I asked if he would put the ingredients in the mixer, turn it on, and grease the pans. With a grin, he agreed. Then I went into the kitchen, poured the mixture into the pans, and put them into the oven to bake. Obviously I didn't bake them long enough since this morning there are indentations in the middle, but we'll put so many berries on it won't matter. Maybe next time M will insist on baking his own cake!

I'll leave you with this picture. It isn't a birthday picture, but here is M when he was about 14 months old. He took his pacifier out of his mouth long enough to enjoy an apricot he found in a crate on the floor.
I love you, M! Thank you for being such a helpful son!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That 14 mo. old photo could pass for The Man at that age. Happy 14th birthday to M.

Anonymous said...

From someone who asked her husband to make his own birthday dinner (he's was King Grill at the time), I did not judge you for having M put the ingredients into the mixer and turn it on. ;)

The cake looks GREAT! Wtg, M, er, ~V~. :D

Rachael said...

Gasp! You were gonna make him bake his own cake weren't you?!

Happy Birthday, M! I can't believe how "old" you are.

Cecelia said...

Happy Birthday M... I'm putting together a special blog post just for you, but yours will be late just like those before you. Hope your day is fun.