Monday, April 09, 2007

A brother is born...Proverbs 17:17

Happy Birthday, M!
13 years ago right now I was in labor. On a Friday afternoon I cleared off my desk at work and told the folks not to expect me to come in on Monday. My baby was due that weekend.

Sure enough, at 11:30 that night I woke up with back pains. I nudged The Man awake and told him to time my contractions. That's what the books said to do, so I made him time each and every contraction...even the ones where I dozed back asleep before I told him it was over. By the next afternoon I was getting annoyed. The Man knew better than to say he was annoyed also. The books said the average first-time labor was 14 hours. I was past that...obviously M wasn't the average baby.

Finally at about 3:30 Saturday afternoon we decided it was time to go to the hospital. We got everything together and off we went. I was finally checked at the hospital at about 6:30 p.m. and told by the nurse that I was doing great and should expect about 6 more hours of labor. No, wait, that would mean that I would have been in labor for 3 days! (In Biblical terms...1/2 hour Friday night, all day Saturday, 1/2 hour on Sunday...that's 3 days!) Nope, that wasn't going to happen. A mere 3 hours later M officially arrived.

He requested a runway/airplane cake for his birthday. Shhh...don't tell him, but he's getting a flight simulator (the older version, we weren't ready to upgrade our computer system to accomodate the newest version), flight yoke, and pedals.

His voice is cracking and every morning he is taller. J used to be up to M's nose, but we were noticing this evening that J barely reaches his chin. He is definitely not my "baby" anymore, but I've told him he always will be.

Side note: We have a baby picture of each of the kids hanging in the hallway. M's fell off the wall twice yesterday. We've never had problems with it before.

1 comment:

Rachael said...

13!!! I can't believe he's so old!
I'm like you in I always rehash the birth story for the kids on their birthdays.
Happy Birthday M! Is it A's too?