Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Fruit was sweet...Song of Solomon 2:3

I know a lot of people enjoy 3+ day weekends, but it just throws my whole week off. All day today I'll have to keep reminding myself it is Tuesday, not Monday. I like routines. Breaking up my routines tends to just confuse me.

So, I'm sunburned on the lower half of my legs from the afternoon on the lake. It really doesn't look too terrible, and I'm not sure why it is so painful. I know I'm not the only one who got sunburned last weekend. Commiserate with me and I'll think of you when I wake up in the middle of the night to reapply aloe vera gel.

On a positive note :) I added 9 more jars of jam to our apricot preserving count for the year. So far we have 111 qts. canned, approx. 20 qts. frozen, 4 qts. dried, and as of last night, 27 c. of jam. I'll have to get a picture of the cupboard. It is nice and pretty with sparkly orange jars! We still have 2 1/2 boxes of apricots in the refrigerator that we'll freeze and eat fresh. I may try to get another batch of jam done, also.

We would like to at least get some pears, peaches, and blueberries to preserve this summer. This fall (about the time the baby is due) we'll be trying to get as many (free) apples as possible for apple sauce. We ran out last year. I think we have enough jars, but I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed thinking about where we'll store everything. Right now, the empty jars are in the garage, but I think it gets too cold out there in the winter. I'll have to talk to The Man about possibly storing them in boxes in the well house since we keep a heat lamp on out there to keep the pipes from freezing.

Maybe instead of trying to dig to the Indian Ocean, I can talk the kids into digging a cellar in the hillside. Hmmmm.

No comments: